Sustainable Tourism Destination Management
30 May – 1 July 2022
When left unchecked, tourism can become a victim of its own success. The rapid increase of tourist numbers can overwhelm residents, degrade environments, and encourage harmful practices. When destinations neglect their long-term sustainability, tourism can ultimately lead to their decline.
Positive change and impactful initiatives in tourism destination management always start with the awareness of the principles of sustainability in the industry. The course empowers you by understanding the realities of sustainable tourism through real-world examples and prepares you with practical tools that help shape successful sustainable tourism destinations.
NOTE: This training course is part of the Global Leaders Destination Support Program. More information can be found here.
About the course
The course delves into three central topics, each of which plays a part in unveiling the bigger picture of how tourism affects people and environments in destinations:
- Revisiting basic concepts of sustainability and tourism and reexamining tourism as a force for good;
- Understanding sustainable destination management and recognising the need for commitment and organisation in sustainable development;
- Learning practical tools for sustainable destination management based on the Green Destinations Standard.
By the end of the course, participants are expected to:
- Understand the essential tenets of sustainable tourism and destination management;
- Be familiar with relevant sustainability and tourism issues and trends;
- Recognize the role of destination marketing and management organisations in facilitating sustainable tourism development;
- Equip tools to help implement sustainable tourism initiatives in your destinations.
All participants will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the course. A certification exam can be done (optional and at extra cost) to qualify for a professional certificate in Foundations of Sustainable Destinations.
The course will start on Monday 30 May – 1 July 2022 and will cover about 20 hours of learning time over the five weeks. This includes the live sessions, pre-recorded lectures and independent readings. Two live sessions are held weekly and will take place every Tuesday and Thursday
a Register before 2 May 2022 to avail
b See the list of countries here
c Also applicable for GD Members
Pre-enrolment is now open!
The pre-enrolment procedure applies to all aspiring participants of the Destination Support Programme. It serves as the basis of the minimum number of participants for training courses and support programmes to push through. By registering, you are committing to participate in, and purchase one or more of the programme‘s modules when the payment period begins.
When the minimum number of participants is met, a confirmation email and payment details will be sent with further instructions.