AWARDS & CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
We invite destinations around the world to join the program to assess sustainability performance, and apply for global recognition in case sufficient levels of sustainability is achieved.
METHODOLOGY & CERTIFICATION CYCLE
Our certification programs are structured by the sustainability management guidelines of our Green Destinations Standard, which is recognised by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC) to cover globally agreed sustainability requirements. Progress is monitored through indicators, which makes the program concrete and measurable. You can easily implement our guidelines and indicators in your management system.
Destinations signing up for the Awards & Certification program engage in a sustainability management cycle aimed at continuous improvement with periodic assessment and independent verification. The main steps include:
- Engagement and reporting: induction training to destination sustainability, the certification program, how to apply the GD Standard, and its online assessment platform. Coaching by GD secretariat
- Evaluation: technical check and independent audit of reported sustainability compliance
- Certification: a Certification Committee evaluates auditor conclusions and issues the Award or Certification, which remains valid for 2 or 3 years, respectively.
- Action planning for improvements based on provided recommendations, guidance, and good practice examples
GREEN DESTINATIONS STANDARD V2
The Green Destinations Standard (V2) is a GSTC-recognised set of criteria to measure, monitor and improve the sustainability policy and management of destinations and regions. It makes sustainable development concrete, objective and demonstrable. In 2020, the 1st GD Standard (developed in 2016) was updated based on consultation with the GD Partnership and re-aligned with the GSTC Destination Criteria V2 – prolonging its ‘GSTC Recognised Status’ in 2021.
The standard covers six main themes:
The Green Destinations database contains many data of ca. 2000 destinations.
Data are gathered for ca. 100 indicators on destination quality, trends, and policy performance.
The database helps Green Destinations to assess compliance of Member destinations with the criteria of the Standard. This process is informed by a quantitative assessment of indicators, resulting in an overall Green Destinations rating, composed of thematic ratings (1-10 scale)
ONLINE ASSESSMENT & REPORTING SYSTEM
Our certifications level results are based upon assessments by independent auditors and will provide you with an agenda for improvement. Our online platform developed to easily:
- Assess your destination’s sustainability performance based on the Green Destinations Standard (GSTC recognized)
- View guidance on how the standard should be applied
- Prepare internal and external sustainability reports
- Create action plans to improve your performance
- Apply for verification by one of our desk auditors
- View and review the quality indicators that make up the Green Destinations Rating