Advanced bachelor (3rd and 4th year) and Masters students can apply for an internship or traineeship in the field of tourism destination sustainability.
There is no deadline for applications. Internships can start any time of the year.
The minimum requirement of an internship is three months (excluding thesis writing).
During the Corona crisis, we do not cancel any internships and we have moved the internship positions online, until we can return to the office and travel bans are lifted.
- We value your development both on a personal and professional level;
- You will be part of our team (you won’t see the copy and coffee machine more than we do);
- Your work at Green Destinations at the time of your internship will be on a voluntary basis;
- Travel for work will be reimbursed; commuting costs may be reimbursed up to €100 per month upon request.;
- Accommodation is not provided (Leiden, The Hague, Leiderdorp, Voorschoten and Oegstgeest are all convenient places to stay; Amsterdam is expensive);
- Since our interns are leading projects, we only accept applicants with an excellent command of English;
- We are looking forward to working with you!
Placements are possible in any of the following fields, or combinations thereof:
1. SUSTAINABLE DESTINATION MANAGEMENT
- Help identify and analyse good practice experience and “green solutions” that can help destinations to improve sustainability.
- Make selected good practices and green solutions available to destination managers and experts by follow-up research and integrating good practices in the Guidance or Training modules of the Green Destinations Platform.
- Support specific Green Destinations Country Representatives and or Auditors in their work, e.g. by collecting evidence of sustainability compliance at country level, e.g. based upon legislation.
2. DESTINATION SUSTAINABILITY ASSESSMENT & CERTIFICATION
Support the GD Award & Certification Program
- Check Award & Certification applications on completeness and accuracy (technical check)
- Help evaluate GSTC-Accredited level auditor assessments (become trained as GD Auditor)
- Support daily operation, coordination of the program (keep track of membership terms and dues)
- Communication with program members about their application (deadlines, questions, coaching).
3. BUSINESS & MARKETING
- Support the identification of the green travel offer (sustainable businesses, products, responsible services, tourism and leisure activities) within selected countries and destinations.
- Help visualize and present the green travel offer to tour operators, travel agents and consumers, through the Green Travel Guide.
- Collaborate with partner consumer platforms to promote the green travel offer.
4. EVENT ORGANIZATION
Support the organization of a Green Destinations Event:
- Green Destinations Sustainable Destination Awards at ITB Berlin, March (annually).
- Green Destinations – QualityCoast Awards in the Netherlands, April-May (annually)
- Global Green Destinations Days (GGDD), Sep-Oct (annually)
- Ad-hoc GD training workshops and field visits.
The leading event organizing trainee is usually supported in attending the event that s/he has helped prepare.
5. MANAGEMENT & COMMUNICATION
- Handling of GD’s email accounts
- Organising/coordinating team workflow and team meetings
- Maintenance and development of GD and Top 100 websites (WordPress)
- Social Media post writing & dissemination
- Newsletter mailings and contact management (Mailchimp).
The next internship position opens in August 2020,
but the recruitment process is continuous.
Past Interns Testimonials
My name is Anna, I am from Andorra and I studied Biology and specialized in Environmental Sustainability with a master after it. My internship in Green Destinations was part of an Erasmus+ with which I acquired valuable tools for the future as I’d like to dedicate my professional career to nature conservation through sustainable tourism. During my internship, I was involved in many projects, from the organisation of the 2019 Top100 Awards Event at ITB in Berlin (which was an amazing experience!), to the start-up of the Green Travel Guide, a great project that is slowly growing. I learned so much about sustainable tourism but also about web design, communication and project management, an internship in GD is a very complete training for your professional career.
Hey! I am Alison, I'm French, I am 20 years old and I had the chance to do an internship at Green Destinations from February to July 2019. If you are interested in sustainable tourism, I can only recommend you to spend a few months in Leiden, it's added value to your CV. The team is really welcoming, kind, nice and always there for you if you need anything. In addition, it is a unique opportunity to learn from these experts in sustainable tourism. I did a lot of different tasks that would be too long to explain all, but it allowed me to improve my knowledge of tourism and also to develop new skills. Every day there is something new to do, you will never be bored! Join the GD team, you will not regret it.
My name is Tatiana, I am French and I did an internship within Green Destinations from June to August 2017 when I was a third-year student in Sustainable Tourism Management. My tasks were very diverse; I had the opportunity to help with the preparation of Global Green Destinations Event 2017 in Cascais, and I have assisted in updating the database, developing social media and designing web documents. This three months internship was a great and positive experience, I’ve learned a lot and I can’t wait to meet and collaborate again with Green Destinations members in the future!
My name is Emily Egan and I did my internship working for Green Destinations in the first half of 2016. I am a third year student at NHTV University in Breda, Netherlands studying International Tourism Management and Consultancy (ITMC). During the time of my internship I have been actively involved in the pilot and auditor training program, and hands on with the new online platform for Green Destinations. I am extremely interested in all aspects of sustainable developments in tourist destinations, and have learned a lot from this experience during the past 5 months!