Welcome to the GD career program! Our team is constantly on the lookout for international students and volunteers, our remote positions are opening all year round.
Advanced Bachelor (from 3rd year) and Masters students can apply for an internship placement
to any of our departments.
We can welcome you as a volunteer, in case you have finished your studies already
and would like to contribute to the work of Green Destinations.
If you already have some professional experience in a field, but you would like to:
match it with sustainability;
move your career towards sustainable tourism;
bring your expertise to one of our projects and learn about the rest in the meantime,
this can be an ideal option for you.
There is no deadline for applications. Positions can open at any time of the year.
The minimum requirement for all positions is three months and 20hrs/week (excluding thesis writing).
Since the Corona crisis, our office and positions have completely moved into an online setting, and our Leiden office is closed until further notice. We now work from different continents and time zones, opening the possibility for an even more diverse team.
You will be part of a big, international team, online, adjusting to different time zones;
Your work at Green Destinations at the time of your internship will be on a voluntary basis;
Since our interns directly execute projects, we only accept applicants with an excellent command of English;
We are looking forward to working and growing with you!
Placements are possible in any of the following fields, or combinations thereof:
1. Green Destinations Secretariat
- Main contact person of Green Destinations
- Handle the online team management and recruiting process
- Communication point for GD Partners and Ambassadors
2. Awards and Certification Program
- Check Award & Certification applications on completeness and accuracy (technical check)
- Help evaluate GSTC-Accredited level auditor assessments (become trained as GD Auditor)
- Support daily operation, coordination of the program (keep track of membership terms and dues)
- Communication with program members about their application (deadlines, questions, coaching)
- Create content about our programs (brochures, presentations, webinars)
3. Top 100 Competition
- Assist in the management of the Top 100 Competition
- Create content, brochures, infographics, presentations for Partners and Destination Managers
- Organize webinars
- Support the nomination process
- Evaluate the 30 c0re criteria report and Good Practice Stories of participants
- Support the Social Media team by providing content for posts and publications
4. Training Program
- Assist in the development of the Green Destinations training program
- Create content, manage the platform
- Organize lectures, webinars
- Find relevant content from Partners, organizations for the different modules
5. Destination Assessment
- Help create/ assist in the Assessment program for destinations and countries
- Assist with data analysis of indexes
6. Marketing and Social Media
- Assist/lead the implementation of the Marketing and Business plan supporting all projects
- Create social media campaigns
- Create communication campaigns for our Partners and Destinations
- Prepare the regular Newsletters (Mailchimp)
- Create content and designs (Canva Pro, Illustrator)
- Maintain, optimize the GD website, create new pages (WordPress)
7. EVENT ORGANIZATION
Support the organization of a Green Destinations Event:
- Green Destinations Sustainable Destination Awards at ITB Berlin, March (annually).
- Global Green Destinations Days (GGDD), Sep-Oct (annually)
- Training program events/webinars
- Ad-hoc GD training workshops.
The leading event organizing trainee is usually supported in attending the event that s/he has helped prepare.
8. Future of Tourism Coalition
Support Green Destinations’ participation in the Coalition.
9. Good Travel Guide
- Help visualize and present the sustainable travel offer to tour operators, travel agents and consumers, through the Good Travel Guide.
- Find all information here: https://goodtravel.guide/internships/
- Help identify and analyse good practice experience and “green solutions” that can help destinations to improve sustainability.
- Make selected good practices and green solutions available to destination managers and experts by follow-up research and integrating good practices in the Guidance or Training modules of the Green Destinations Platform.
- Support specific Green Destinations Country Representatives and or Auditors in their work, e.g. by collecting evidence of sustainability compliance at country level, e.g. based upon legislation.
- Support the identification of the green travel offer (sustainable businesses, products, responsible services, tourism and leisure activities) within selected countries and destinations.
Complete the Application Form as thoroughly as possible. You will also be requested to upload your CV and a Motivation Letter.
We will contact you as soon as possible with possible positions matching your requirements, interests, and skills.
You don’t have a Google account?
You can request an Excel form, writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
My name is Anna, I am from Andorra and I studied Biology and specialized in Environmental Sustainability with a master after it. My internship in Green Destinations was part of an Erasmus+ with which I acquired valuable tools for the future as I’d like to dedicate my professional career to nature conservation through sustainable tourism. During my internship, I was involved in many projects, from the organisation of the 2019 Top100 Awards Event at ITB in Berlin (which was an amazing experience!), to the start-up of the Green Travel Guide, a great project that is slowly growing. I learned so much about sustainable tourism but also about web design, communication and project management, an internship in GD is a very complete training for your professional career.
Hey! I am Alison, I'm French, I am 20 years old and I had the chance to do an internship at Green Destinations from February to July 2019. If you are interested in sustainable tourism, I can only recommend you to spend a few months in Leiden, it's added value to your CV. The team is really welcoming, kind, nice and always there for you if you need anything. In addition, it is a unique opportunity to learn from these experts in sustainable tourism. I did a lot of different tasks that would be too long to explain all, but it allowed me to improve my knowledge of tourism and also to develop new skills. Every day there is something new to do, you will never be bored! Join the GD team, you will not regret it.
My name is Tatiana, I am French and I did an internship within Green Destinations from June to August 2017 when I was a third-year student in Sustainable Tourism Management. My tasks were very diverse; I had the opportunity to help with the preparation of Global Green Destinations Event 2017 in Cascais, and I have assisted in updating the database, developing social media and designing web documents. This three months internship was a great and positive experience, I’ve learned a lot and I can’t wait to meet and collaborate again with Green Destinations members in the future!
My name is Emily Egan and I did my internship working for Green Destinations in the first half of 2016. I am a third year student at NHTV University in Breda, Netherlands studying International Tourism Management and Consultancy (ITMC). During the time of my internship I have been actively involved in the pilot and auditor training program, and hands on with the new online platform for Green Destinations. I am extremely interested in all aspects of sustainable developments in tourist destinations, and have learned a lot from this experience during the past 5 months!
GET IN TOUCH!
Any questions about the team or on how to join? Our team coordination colleagues will be happy to assist you.