Country Baseline Assessment
Green Destinations developed a unique destination support tool for country and regional destinations: Baseline Assessment. This tool enables us to assess to what extent the Green Destinations Standard is complied with at national (or regional) as well as local level. This assessment takes place interactively with national experts and stakeholders.
An accredited Advisor-Auditor will lead an interactive assessment of the sustainability performance for all relevant policy and management criteria, throughout the country or region.
Benefits of a Baseline Assessment include:
- For the countries: recommendations as a basis for the development of new regional and destination strategies and action plans;
- For the destinations in the country: Baseline Assessment will increase the GD Ratings for all destinations.
Elements of the programme include:
- Selection of at least two pilot destinations (preferably including a city, a town and a nature park), by the participating country / region.
- Briefing to participating destinations, region and or country.
- A 5-day workshop in one of the pilot destinations, led by Green Destinations experts.
- A workshop report with draft conclusions, to be commented by workshop participants.
- A final report presenting the results of the country/regional Baseline assessment, and a verified assessment of the pilot destinations; and presenting recommendations.
- Incorporation of the results in the GD database, to be shared with booking websites
- Media publicity by the destinations and country/region, supported by Green Destinations.